How to Make The Ultimate ABC Comfort Soup
Do you know why it’s called ABC soup? Apparently, it is called ABC soup because the basic ingredients for ABC soup are carrots (rich in vitamin A), potatoes (packed with vitamin B), and tomatoes (loaded with vitamin C), boiled to rich goodness together with some fresh soup bones!
Packed with fresh veggies and vitamins, this nourishing soup is perfect for a healthy meal. Unlike many other soups, it doesn't require a long prep time. Plus, you can easily make it with basic ingredients that you likely already have in your kitchen.
Try this easy one-pot ABC soup made with tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, brown onion, corn, and soup bone. For this recipe, we used our popular pork soup bones for added sweetness, and we also added brown onion and corn for extra flavour to the soup.
Step 1: Prepare and cut the vegetables
First, wash your vegetables. Simply rinse them under running water and use a brush to scrub them well if there's any tough dirt or debris.
- Cut the tomato lengthwise into two halves
- Then, slice each half into smaller wedges
- Peel your potatoes using a vegetable peeler or a knife
- Cut them into small, evenly-sized cubes. This is a perfect size to use in the soup, as it ensures that each spoonful contains a delicious chunk of potato.
- Cut off the root end and the stem end of the onion using a sharp knife.
- Cut the onion in half from top to bottom, making sure to cut through the root end.
- Peel off the papery skin and discard it.
- Lay one-half of the onion flat on the cutting board, with the cut side facing down.
- Slice the onion crosswise into thin strips, cutting from the stem end towards the root end.
- Repeat with the other half of the onion.
- Cut off both ends of the carrot, especially the top green stem.
- Peel the outer layer of the carrot skin with a vegetable peeler or knife.
- Slice the carrot into semi-thin round pieces
- Shuck the corn and remove the silk.
- Place the corn cob flat on a cutting board and slice the cob crosswise into rounds of desired thickness.
Step 2: Blanch the soup bone
- In a large pot over high heat, bring water to a boil.
- Add all the soup bones to the pot and blanch for no more than 5 minutes.
- Sieve out the scum that floats to the surface.
Step 3: Cook the ABC Soup
- In a very large soup pan, heat up 2.5 litres of water until it boils.
- Once the water has boiled, add all the ingredients, including the blanched soup bones.
- Simmer over low heat for 2 hours.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve!
Give this recipe a try and enjoy the ultimate ABC comfort soup! For even more guidance, check out our step-by-step tutorial video here.